The client is a Top Emerging Markets Investment Bank specialized in the areas of Operations, Brokerage, Asset/ Portfolio Management, Financial/ Advisory Issuing house, Proprietary trading, Margin/ stocklending among others.
Opening is a London/Lagos based position - depending on the individual.
The ideal candidate must have previous exposure to the brokerage business and able to work around the risk issues faced in daily operations; brokerage, stock lending, margin, proprietary trading. Exposure to the others will be helpful as well.
Experience & Training
Essentially candidate will have to be familiar with My rough estimates of the “ risk function need” are as follows:
- Brokerage, Proprietary trading, Margin/ stock lending 60%
- Asset/ Portfolio Management, 25%
- Financial/ Advisory Issuing house, 5%
- Registrars, 10%
Critical is Brokerage, Proprietary trading, Margin/ stock lending.
The rapid expansion of the business and high calibre team hires that have been made recently will lead to greater complexity and increased trading volumes that require supporting. Market risk enjoys a close working relationship with the trading floor concerning risk appetite, risk limits and individual large and complex transactions.
- The mission is to be a pro-active risk partner towards management at all levels by supporting and challenging management in identifying, assessing, measuring, mitigating and monitoring operational risk exposure to contribute to an optimal return to stakeholders.
- Contribute to the ongoing development and effectiveness of the Operational Risk Framework by promoting best practice in Operational Risk Management Standards.
- Develop and grow risk management practices and standards within business units through a process of communication, training and evaluation.
- Responsible for producing consolidated Risk and Compliance reports to Executives and the Group Risk Committee and will provide qualitative assurance on processes relating to credit, liquidity, market and group risk.
- Enhancement of the Group risk management framework (including developing key risk indicators and loss reporting) and advising on appropriate development of systems and procedures to combat risks will also be a key element of the role.
- Incumbent must be able to establish and maintain working relationships with related functions such as Group ORM, Internal Audit, and Legal.
- Lead the agenda for the Market Risk coverage group and manage day-to-day relationships with the desk heads across the business.
- Act as a recognised subject matter expert in the area of Operational Risk Management.
- Ensure that management are kept abreast of risks occurring across the business and to ensure that risks are appropriately assesses and hedged dynamically.
- Stimulate and improve the awareness of operational risk management within the business.
- Offer risk advisory advice and improve risk measurement techniques taking into account existing market conditions and probable developments and advise senior risk-takers accordingly.
- Review pricing models and risk management models developed in the front office and assist in developing VaR methodologies.
- Drive the implementation and execution of the ORM programme for the business and Clients in line with the Group ORM Strategy and requirements.
- Support the development and maintenance of the Operational risk heatmap for the business.
- Support and oversee the implementation and execution of the ORM Policies, Standards, Methodologies and Tools (PSMTs) developed in business to ensure compliance with Group requirements.
- Analyse data gathered through the execution of the Banks ORM programmes and other available data (e.g. Audit data, Compliance data) at various levels to identify existing or emerging high operational risks Analyse severe operational risk incidents within and outside the business and prepare advises to management on mitigating actions.
- Collate and escalate issues arising from the remediation of material or complex operational failures.
- Provide input to divisions and Group functions on risk management practices and standards and their monitoring, analysis, reporting and communication. Ensure consistency in the analysis and challenge of the business’ operational exposure.
- Postgraduate with several years progressive experience Solid track record in market risk management with significant operational risk experience built up in management roles in an Investment banking environment.
- Proven track record of delivery in contribution to operational risk management solution delivery to business functions.
- Proven ability to contribute to complex projects and teams across different business areas. Experience of/ qualification in six-sigma or similar techniques.
- Knowledge of regulatory requirements in local business environment with respect to ORM (e.g. SEC, NSE).
- Excellent communication skills and an ability to generate recommendations which will improve business processes.
- Result driven, convincing, and analytical capabilities.
Interested & qualified persons should reply (Risk manager-Investment Bank) as subject of mail, and send relevant credentials to :